top of page

About Sundown on the Square 2018


The Chapel on the Bosque was moved to the Stephenville Historical House Museum in 1976 as a community-wide bicentennial project. It was rededicated on July 4, 1976, at the museum. Originally the First Presbyterian Church, was located at Mason and Barton Streets in Stephenville. The Gothic-style church was built in 1899 with the cornerstone laid on December 10, 1899. The building was designed by W.J. Wilson, who oversaw the construction. Mr. Wilson had directed the construction of the original John Tarleton College building as well as many residences in Stephenville. Two of the carpenters who worked on the church were Hilliard B. Smith and Daniel Fielding Smith.

The opening church service was held at 11 a.m. on Sunday, May 10, 1900. The Rev. John William Evards presided over the church as the first pastor. His sermon was titled “The Grandeur of the House of the Lord,” from Isaiah 66:1-2. The original pews are still in usein the chapel. The original pulpit is located there, as well. In thepastor’s study is the bookcase donated by J. Collin George to thefirst public library in Stephenville. New stained-glass windows were installed several years ago. Repainting and reroofing have been done in the last several years; however, no other major renovations have been made since the chapel was moved to the museum. There are several interior and exterior repairs that need to be made within the next two years. The current estimated cost is $70,000.00.



The current estimated cost is $70,000.00

  • Repair or replacement of the air conditioning/ heating unit and duct work

  • Repair the ceiling fans

  • Repair the steeple spire

  • Repair the bead board ceiling in the study and foyer where moisture has entered

  • Refinish the floor in the foyer and replace carpeting in the chapel

  • Repair cracked plaster on the interior walls

  • Repair the bead board wainscoting in the sanctuary.

  • Repaint the interior exterior

  • Repair the floor separation at the cutline from moving the chapel

  • Scrape, sand and repaint the exterior walls.

bottom of page